Newcastle United And Italy Midfielder Sandro Tonali Banned For Q0 Months For Violating Betting Regulations
CNN -
Newcastle United and Italy midfielder Sandro Tonali has actually been prohibited for 10 months for breaching betting guidelines, the president of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), Gabriele Gravina, stated on Thursday.
"The contract has actually already been reached between the Federal Prosecutor's Office and Sandro Tonali, which happened before the referral, therefore it should be backed by the undersigned, which I have currently done," said Gravina after leaving the 23-year-old gamer's hearing as recorded by a variety of Italian media outlets, consisting of CNN affiliate Sky24.
Tonali, who signed up with Newcastle from AC Milan in July, will be not available for both club and country up until August next year, implying he would be not available to represent Italy's men's national group at the 2024 Euros if the Azzurri effectively qualify.
Tonali's representatives remained in Italy to negotiate a plea deal on his behalf. Tonali has actually not openly talked about the case.
CNN has actually reached out to Tonali's lawyers and agency for comment.
Ahead of Newcastle's Premier League video game against Crystal Palace last Saturday, the club's supervisor Eddie Howe told the BBC that Tonali had been "handling himself really well and is handling emotions exceptionally highly."
According to Gravina, the plea contract reached between the gamer's representatives and the federal prosecutor makes sure a decreased penalty for the midfielder.
Article 24 of the FIGC's sporting justice code restricts gamers from putting or taking bets on occasions organized by the FIGC, FIFA and UEFA. If a gamer is found to have actually breached the article, they can be penalized with a three-year ban, however this can be reduced with a guilty plea.
The 23-year-old will likewise undergo a treatment prepare for gambling concerns - which his legal representatives said were linked to gambling dependency, according to Reuters - as well as making 16 speaking looks as community service.
Tonali signed for Newcastle in the summertime for a reported fee of $74 million, per Reuters. This was a record sum for an Italian player.
During his time with AC Milan, Tonali assisted the club win its first Serie A title in 11 years in the 2021/22 season and reach last season's Champions League semifinals.
Tonali began as a second-half alternative in Newcastle's Champions League defeat to Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.
The decision comes simply weeks after Nicolò Fagioli was handed a seven-month ban and fined EUR12,500 ($13,200) for likewise breaching wagering rules.
The 22-year-old Fagioli likewise needs to undergo gambling treatment and attend "at least 10 public meetings" to speak as part of his treatment.
Tonali and his fellow Italy global colleague Nicolò Zaniolo withdrew from the national group squad previously this month after their involvement in betting examinations was released. Zaniolo is currently being investigated.
CNN's Barbie Nadeau contributed to this report.